Temple of the Golden Pavilion is the popular name of Rokuon-ji, Deer Park Temple, a temple dedicated to the Buddhist Goddess of Mercy, Kannon. The land was first a mountain getaway for Saionji Kitsune, 1171-1244 and included both a temple and a villa. The estate withered away and became the property of Ashikaga Yoshimitsu 1358-1408, the third shogun of the Ashikaga Shogunate, who built Kitayamaden as a retirement estate in 1398. After his death in 1419, the grounds were turned into a Buddhist temple for the Rinzai sect and Muso Kokushi was appointed abbot as per Yoshimitsu’s will. The name Rokuon comes from Yoshimitsu’s Buddhist name.