Priest Honen (1133-1212) left Hieizan Enryaku-ji and established Jodo-shu Sect of Buddhism in 1175. He lived in Higashiyama-Yoshimizu, where Chion-in, the head temple of Jodo-shu sect, was built later. He had a thatched hut in Shishigatani that evolved to be Honen-in temple years later.
In the year 1680, Priest Nincho made proposal to the 38th head priest of Chion-in temple, Banbu about establishing a training hall of Buddhist chant in Shishigatani where is closely associated with Honen. Hondo hall was completed in 1681, followed by other buildings.