Higashiyama-ku, meaning “easten mountain ward,” is one of Kyoto’s eleven wards. It was created in 1929 when split off from Shimogyō-ku. From 1931 to 1976, it also covered present-day Yamashina-ku. It is roughly bound by Sanjō street in the north, and the Jūjō street in the south, the Kamo River on the west, and the Higashiyama mountain range on the east. Its primary attractions include the Gion District and Yasaka Shrine, the stone-paved roads Ninenzaka and Sannenzaka leading up to Kiyomizu Temple, Tōfuku-ji, Kennin-ji, Kōdai-ji, and Sanjūsangen-dō.